Do you need a document authenticated and legalized for use outside of Canada? We can help!
Save time and hassle with Downtown Notary's one-stop shop for authentication and legalization. We can provide you with all three steps - notarization, authentication and legalization - quickly and easily. There's no need to make multiple appointments for each service - we can do it all for you!
Ready to get started? Complete the form at the bottom of this page or email us at email@example.com. We will answer your questions and send you a free quote.
What are authentication and legalization?
Authentication and legalization is the process used to make documents notarized in Canada valid for use outside of Canada. This is the equivalent to apostille, which is not performed in Canada.
Legalization means that the consulate or embassy of the country in which the document is to be used verifies the certificate of authenticity of Global Affairs Canada or Official Document Services.
What kind of documents can you authenticate and legalize?
We can notarize, authentic and legalize most Canadian documents, including:
- Birth certificates
- Marriage certificates
- Death certificates
- Driver's licences
- Citizenship cards
- Permanent resident cards
- Immigrant visas and records of landing
- University, college or high school transcripts
- Provincial or federal articles of incorporation
Don't see your document listed? Contact us using the form at the bottom of this page or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will help!
I'm outside of Toronto / Ottawa / Canada, can you help?
Absolutely! If you require a document certified by a Canadian notary, then authenticated and legalized for use outside of Canada, you can mail the documents to us. We will take care of the notarization, authentication and legalization, then mail the documents back to you.
To get started, complete the form at the bottom of this page or email us at email@example.com.
Note that for mail-in services, we can only notarize certified true copies of original documents. The original documents must be mailed to us. We do not offer mail-in services for affidavits or statutory declarations.
How does it work?
Step 1: Send us your documents
- Mail your documents to us if you are outside of Toronto or Ottawa.
- Meet with one of our professional notaries if you are in Toronto or Ottawa.
Step 2: Notarization
- The notary notarizes your documents as certified true copies.
Step 3: Authentication
- The notary takes your documents to Global Affairs Canada or Official Document Services to have their stamp and seal verified and authentication.
Step 4: Legalization
- The notary takes your authenticated documents to the embassy or consulate of the country in which your documents will be used to be legalized.
- Not sure where the embassy or consulate is located? Embassy Pages has a complete listing of consulates and embassies in Canada.
Step 5: Get your authenticated and legalized documents back
- If you are outside Toronto or Ottawa, the notary ships them back to you using Canada Post Xpresspost and sends you your tracking number.
- If you are in Toronto or Ottawa, the notary delivers them back to you.
How long does it take, and how much is it?
Get more info and a free quote
Generally, we aim to have your documents in the mail back to you within two business days of receiving them. However, this may take longer depending on the processing time at the embassy or consulate.
We send documents back using Canada Post Xpresspost, which takes two days to ship within Canada and four to seven days to ship internationally.
The fees for authentication and legalization depend on a couple of factors, including how many documents you need notarized, how long it takes to have the documents authenticated and legalized, and how much the embassy or consulate charges for legalization.
Here is a basic overview of the fees for authentication or legalization - all prices include HST:
- $35 for the first notarization (notary's stamp and signature), and $17.50 for each additional notarization
- $95 per hour to take the document for authentication and legalization - we charge in six minute increments so you don't pay anymore than necessary
- $20 shipping and handling fee
- Any authentication fees charged by Global Affairs Canada or Official Document
- Any legalization fees charged by the embassy or consulate
To learn more about Downtown Notary's authentication and legalization services, get a free quote, or to book your authentication and legalization services, complete the contact form on this page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.